NaNoWriMo 2019: Outlining


I know, I know, outlines aren't for everyone. However, they definitely are for me. 

NaNoWriMo '11 (I think), I decided to try writing without an outline. I succeeded and won with just over 50,000 words, but I hated that novel. I haven't actually opened it since that November and I'm still intrigued by that particular idea, but I'm not ready to revisit it yet!

I suppose you might not consider my outlines as traditional, it's more like a bullet point roadmap, and it works for me. Let me walk you through my progress.

Step 1. After coming up with the initial idea, I sit there with some index cards and think about how I want things to happen. on each card, I note down a particular beat I want to hit. This year, I'm writing a romance, so my main focus is the relationship. I had a vague idea of how I wanted things to progress so I wrote down things like the circumstances of their first meeting, how they get to know each other, the first kiss, etc. I then fill in any slow spots that show up.

Step 2. Next, I decide on what my subplots should be, some come naturally, and others I have to think about for a while. I follow the same progression. This time my subplots cover a stalker and illness (not gonna give you any more than that, not because I'm worried about anyone stealing my ideas, but because I do plan on publishing and want it to be a surprise!)

Step 3. I rearrange my cards on the floor or on a table so I can see everything. If I like what I see, super! If I don't, I add more plot points and/or do some rearranging.

Step 4. I write down the outline on paper, leaving spaces to add anything else I might think of later. This is also when I do research, which may (and did) add more points.

At this point, I'm pretty much done with my outline. Now, this isn't the outline they teach you in school, it's simply what works for me!

How about you? Do you outline? Do you wing it? What's your process?



NaNoWriMo 2019 Blog Series





  1. My First Year as an ML!
  2. This Year's Idea
  3. Getting to Know Your Characters
  4. Outlining
  5. Research
  6. Kick-off/Meet-ups

Comments

  1. I usually outline step by step as the plot unfolds in my notebook; not bullet points but events/scenes. This acts as a road map although there is room for diversions. I've written all but one NaNo win this way. This year might be a more hurried scribble as this will be an attempt to rewrite my 2018 draft.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Words War: It's Release Day!

Why I'm Networking, Before Publishing

📚REVIEW📚 Between Dawn and Dusk & The Fae King's Curse