NaNoWriMo 2019: This Year's Idea


NaNoWriMo 2019: This Year's Idea


Authors get asked the question Where do your ideas come from? so often, you'd think we'd have an answer by now. Honestly, the answer is probably going to be different every single time, even from the same author.

My ideas usually start out with thinking about what if? This year, the thought occurred to me as I was watching my daughter's gymnastics class. I typed out a bunch of bullet notes I wanted to hit on my phone and wrote about half of the first chapter a few days later. I was busy with Pack of Freaks at the time, so I set it aside, deciding to save the idea for my NaNo project this year.

Some people don't have more than a character or a setting in mind when they sit down in front of their computers and just go for it. I've tried going by the seat of my pants before, and I just didn't like how it worked for me.

Other people will start with a prompt. Here, I'll give you some:
  • An elf, a pixie, and a wombat walk into a nightclub...
  • A secret experiment, a convict, and a cat...
  • A computer programmer, a nanny, and mistaken identity... 
  • A library, a witch, and a parrot...
  • A monster, a couch, and a grandmother
  • A fire, a goat, and a ghost...
  • Once upon a time...
  • The lights flickered...
  • She was fast asleep when a creak in the attic woke her...
  • The drink burned as it made it's way down my throat...
  • Motherhood, insomnia, and a lockbox in the attic...
  • A new VR game comes on the market and players are turning up dead...
  • She made me do it!
  • Unicorns are a nuisance...
 Can you add more to the list? 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words War: It's Release Day!

Why I'm Networking, Before Publishing