Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things - Review

Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things (Dead Things, #1)Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things by Martina McAtee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Holy crap, this book was fantastic. I need the rest of the series, pronto!

The world Ms. McAtee created is phenomenal. It's so easy to sink into, it feels real. The 'rules' of the magic is easy to follow. The characters are beautiful and flawed. Ember, Kai, Tristin, and Mace are all perfectly balanced as the main characters of their respective chapters.

I loved how dark the story was, yet how bright each personality shone.

There were definitely some inspiration feels from Teen Wolf, especially with Tristian and Quinn as a banshee and a normal human, respectively.

Ember, a reaper gets a level up style twist, that turns her into such an epic tragic character, as does her companion, Mace. Their paths colliding creates a new world for both of them. (I won't spoil it for you, but it'll break your heart)

I can't imagine what it must be like in this writer's head, keeping this story all organized, and so beautifully crafted.

This story is definitely aimed at the more adult YA spectrum, with dark themes, angst, and tension. Adults will love it just as much as teens.

If I had the cash right now (it's almost Christmas, so not so much) I'd order the next books in the series. This one was a gift, and one I'll definitely add to my read-it-over-and-over-again shelf.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words War: It's Release Day!

Why I'm Networking, Before Publishing

📚REVIEW📚 Between Dawn and Dusk & The Fae King's Curse