EBooks: The Ode of a Grateful Mother

When I first discovered ebooks, I hated the idea. Why would anyone want to trade beautiful paper and ink, for cold hard technology? I’ve always loved the weight of a book in my hand, the feel of the pages under my fingers, the smell of paper, old and new. There’s a certain romance in a hard cover, or paperback, that has nothing to do with any physical relationship. There’s a comfort in opening the worn cover of a book you’ve spent so many hours with before.

Just look at these beautiful paperbacks!



I hated the idea of the digitalization of words.

One day, four or five years ago, I got a Nook for Christmas. I used it a little. It did fit nicely in my purse, and I didn’t have to worry about wrecking the lack of pages. I decided it was all right, but it still wasn’t my favorite.

And then I gave birth to my first child. Yes indeed, children change your life. They certainly take a lot of time, and you’re always concerned for their safety. Physical books were now a danger. They are heavy, and easy to drop on the head of a nursing infant. In fact, my Nook was even too unwieldy for me, and I’d lacked the foreknowledge to invest in something back-lit for middle of the night feeding sessions.

A friend suggested getting the Kindle and Nook apps on my phone. My phone is much lighter. My phone could be read in the dark. Suddenly, not only did I accept the idea of digital books. I loved them. I devoured books by the dozens, discovering new authors, and the introducing myself to the wonderful world of independent publishing.

You can fit an entire library in you pocket! I almost always have my phone on me, so I can always read, when (and if) I have a spare moment. Waiting for an oil change. At the doctors. While cooking supper!
Now, my kids are toddlers, and don’t need to be held quite as much. I’m gravitating back to my tangible library. I still prefer “real” books, but I always have something to read in digital form as well.

Look at this picture again:



I likely never would have heard of Rose Montague, Claudette Melanson, or any other self-published & independently published authors, if it weren’t for the digitalization of the written word.

Now, audio books, those I just don’t get.😉

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Words War: It's Release Day!

Why I'm Networking, Before Publishing